Friday, January 23, 2015

How's the Weather?

In my class we are learning about weather! I got so many great ideas from pinterest and will do my best to give credit to where it's due!

I read these books through out the few weeks that we were learning about weather.






On the first day we did a KWL of what my scholars know about weather. The next day we listed all of the weather words that they could think of. Then they each picked a weather word they wanted to write and draw for the class. We wrote and drew the words on raindrop cut outs. I got this really cute idea from over all Teaching In High Heels.

Weather words. 


Their rain drops hung up in the window. 

Close up. 


The next day I folded up pieces of paper and had my students write down 8 weather words along with a drawing. They had a really good time drawing and talking about weather words they chose. 






After a few days of discussing and getting comfortable with weather words we were ready to think about making sentences. Here I made an anchor chart with 3 kinds of weather. We discussed what we can do and what we can wear for each kind of weather. 
The next day they picked their favorite kind of weather and wrote at least 3 sentences about it. 
(I'll have to remember to take some pictures of their work because it turned out super cute!)



Here are some of their writings:





I found this SUPER cute poem about weather. I wrote it out and we read it all week. We also reviewed nouns and verbs using this poem. We under lined all the verbs with green and all of the nouns with red. 
I found this poem over at Mrs. Saylor's Log. She has a really cute hand out that goes along with the poem. 



I also printed this WILD WEATHER book out. My kiddos L-O-V-E-D it!
They had so much fun doing it! You can buy it if you'd like over at Teachers Pay Teachers.


After learning about weather, we moved onto clouds! Holy Moly, my kiddos L-O-V-E-D learning about clouds! This anchor chart took me 2 days to make. I started off with stratus clouds and cumulus clouds. The next day we finished it off with cirrus clouds and cumulonimbus clouds. On the third day my kiddos used this information to write about their favorite kind of cloud. On the forth day we edited their work and started on the final draft. 

I continued with clouds for another week. I wanted them to use more adjectives. After we listed adjectives for each cloud they wrote a sentence for each cloud.







No comments:

Post a Comment